For Birmingham Residents
The City of Birmingham’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program is for residents experiencing difficulty in paying rent or utilities because of COVID-19. The program is also available for landlords. For more information or to start the application process online, visit www.birminghamal.gov/renthelp .
Individuals needing help with an online application should call 205-778-2091. Email questions to [email protected].
When completing the application online or in person, residents should remember that several documents are required to complete the application process. Applications will not be considered ready for review unless the application has been completely filled out.
Please see the list below of the documents that are required for online and in person.
Renters must provide their:
- Signed lease
- Driver’s license or another photo ID
- Proof of Income (2020 taxes, paystub, unemployment award letter or bank statement.)
- Past due utility bill (Power, gas, water)
- Rent statement or ledger
- Eviction notice
- Valid email address
- Documents showing the household has experienced direct or indirect negative economic impact due to COVID-19
- Landlord’s W-9, address of property for rental apartment and contact information
Landlords should provide their:
- Property address for rental apartment
- Contact information
This program is ONLY for renters who live within the city limits of Birmingham.
Please know that income is just ONE factor in qualifying for this program. Income levels and other qualifications may be found in the “Do I Qualify?” section, which is located lower down on this page. An FAQ about the program is also on this page.
- Click here to download information from the Emergency Rental Assistance page
- Click here to download the Emergency Rental Assistance FAQ
- For more information, contact the Call Center at 205-778-2091 or send emails to [email protected]